Saturday, August 7, 2010

To Betray

be·tray
tr.v. be·trayed, be·tray·ing, be·trays
1.
a. To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against: betray one's country.
b. To deliver into the hands of an enemy in violation of a trust or allegiance: betrayed Christ to the Romans.
2. To be false or disloyal to: betrayed their cause; betray one's better nature.
3. To divulge in a breach of confidence: betray a secret.
4. To make known unintentionally: Her hollow laugh betrayed her contempt for the idea.
5. To reveal against one's desire or will.
6. To lead astray; deceive. See Synonyms at deceive.

[Middle English bitrayen : bi-, be- + trayen, to betray (from Old French trair, from Latin tradere, to hand over; see tradition).]
[The American Heritage Dictionary 2009]

I thought that if I posted several definitions of 'to betray', I would be satisfied by their descriptions. I would feel like someone had adequately addressed my suffering. But perhaps the act is so far past me that the sting of a memory is no sting at all and therefore cannot be matched by any dictionary's definition.

What would be my own definition? Simply; To deceive, under the guise of love.

Because deception can come in so many ways and is inherently against one's will or knowledge.Why do we betray? Because we don't love enough?

1 comment: