Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jane Bussman

 
I attended Jane Bussman's show tonight at the Vineyard and Wine Bar and was so glad I went! Well, I love comedy and would go anytime but what I loved most about the show was how she married entertainment with international affairs. How she brought out the conflict in Uganda but still managed to make us laugh about the small things; whether they be the indiosyncracies of the developing world (she described one NO sign at her hotel, preventing, army uniform, machetes, guns in the same circle as coca cola and slippers) or the ironies of the business of development ("the hotel was so expensive," she says, "you had to work at a charity to be able to afford to stay there.")

Perhaps a little nervous at first, she was a lot more relaxed during the second half. And it was only then that it dawned on me that perhaps this was a real story! Everyone knows that comedians make up, borrow or twist their anecdotes, so when I realised that she managed to make comedy out of truth/tragedy and some serious issues, that was when she really impressed me.

No comments: