Saturday, March 5, 2011

snippets (part two)

'Self-indulgent bullshit'.

So I attended the Slam Open Mic at Dass on the 18th February and to say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. I thought I remembered more meaningful poetry the last time I went. I thought I remembered more meaningful entertainment, through the use of music to accompany the poetry or floetry, the last time I went. But perhaps things have changed and the Slam Open Mic is an entirely different event from the Open Mics/Poetry Nites that also happen at Dass.

I say that there are several things to juggle which is what outdoes these anspiring poets;
1) They have to be entertaining which usually means that they will rely on storytelling, which in turn will focus on making humour out of current affairs which in effect will cheapen their 'poems',
2) They will want to be deep but in literally claiming and reclaiming to be deep will end up showing off about nothing or being self-indulgent and
3) They will try to rhyme or to do spoken word/floetry which may compromise the content of the poetry itself.

And so we left before finding out who won that round. I mean, 3 hours? (8pm to 11pm and it hadn't even finished) - it's a bit much.

No comments: